Adawi, K.I; Oldridge, N.B.; Tarima, S.S.; Stason, W.B.; Shepard, D.S. "Cardiac rehabilitation patient and organizational factors: what keeps patients in programs? Journal of the American Heart Association 2013;2:e000418 (doi: 10.1161/JAHA.113.000418; Online ISSN: 2047-9980).
Adawi, K.I; Oldridge, N.B.; Tarima, S.S.; Stason, W.B.; Shepard, D.S. "Cardiac rehabilitation enrollment among referred patients: patient and organizational factors." Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention 2013 Oct 17. [Epub ahead of print] (PMID: 24142042, ISSN 1932-7501).
- Farag, M., Nandakumar, A.K., Wallack, S.S., Gaumer, G., Hodgkin, D., Erbil, C. "The Income Elasticity of Health Care Spending in Developing and Developed Countries." International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economic. 2012. 12(2):145-62. doi: 10.1007/s10754-012-9108-z.
- Shepard, D.S., Zeng, W., Amico, P., Rwiyereka, AK., and Avila-Figueroa, C. "A controlled study of funding for human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome as resource capacity building in the health system in Rwanda." Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:902–907. (2012).
- Zeng, W., Shepard, D.S., Chilingerian, J., and Avila-Figueroa, C. "How Much Can We Gain from Improved Efficiency? An Examination of Performance of National HIV/AIDS Programs and Its Determinants in Low- and Middle-income Countries." BMC Health Services Research 12(74). (2012).
- Kaufman, Joan. "China's AIDS Response - Critical Turning Points." In E.Y. Zhang, A. Kleinman, and W. Tu (Eds.), Governance of LIfe in Chinese Moral Experience: The Quest for an Adequate Life. New York: Routledge, 2010.
- Joan Kaufman, Fang Jing, Liu Yunguo, Liu Maowei. "Continuing Disparities in Reproductive Health and Gender Equality in Poor Rural China: Findings from a Baseline Study in Defang, Zhenning, and Luoping Counties, China, GHEN China Case Study Working Paper 2." The Institute for Development Studies Working Paper Series, IDS, UK 2010.
- Joan Kaufman. "Public Health Policy in China." Politics in China: An Introduction. William A. Joseph, editor (Oxford University Press, 2010).
- Joan Kaufman. "Turning Points in China's AIDS Response." China: An International Journal Volume 8, Number 1, pp 63-84, March 2010.
- Agbakwuru, C., Beswick, J. "A Comparison of the Global Fund and The GAVI Alliance with Emphasis on Health System Strengthening." Analysis for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, May 2009.
- Halasa,Yara and Nandakumar, A.K.. "Factors Determining Choice of Health Care Providers in Jordan." Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 15.4 (2009):959-968.
- Joan Kaufman. "The Role of NGOs in China's AIDS Response - Update, Challenges and Possibilities." Serving the People: State-Society Negotiations and Welfare Provision in China. Ed. Jonathan Schwartz and Shawn Shieh. London: Routledge, 2009.
- Nandakumar, A.K., Farag, M., Razavi, M., Fadayomi, O., Obadan, N., Beswick, J. "Barriers to Access to Health Care: An analysis of burden of disease, service utilization and health outcomes by income quintile." Working Paper: Schneider Institutes for Health Policy, Brandeis University, November 2009. Supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Razavi, M., Gaumer, G., Wallack, S. "What is Known About Demand and Other Related Interventions to Improve Access and Strengthen Health Care Systems in Low- and Middle-Income Countries?" Working Paper: Schneider Institutes for Health Policy, Brandeis University, September 2009. Supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Shepard, D.S., Rwiyereka, A.K., Beaston-Blaakman, A. "Community-based health insurance in Rwanda: From case studies to a national policy." Rwanda Medical Journal 67(1): 8-16, Sept., 2009.
2008 & earlier
- Farag M.E.(2008). "Economic Analysis of the Nurse Shortage in Egypt." Harvard Kennedy School - Belfer Center Programs - Dubai Initiative Working Paper. April 17, 2008.
- Fang Jing, Joan Kaufman, Liu Yunguo. "Health Service Planning and Women's Organization in Poor Rural China: The Case of Dafang County, Guizhou Province, GHEN China Case Study Working Paper 1." 2008.
- Gaumer, G., Beswick, J., Sirkin, J., Sah, B. "Voice Interventions and the Quality and Responsiveness of Public Services in Low- and Middle- income Countries (LMICs)." July 2008. Policy paper to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Jing, Fang and Kaufman, Joan. "Reproductive Health in China: Improve the means to the end." The Lancet 372. 9650 (2008): 1619-1620.
- Kaufman, Joan. "China's Health Care System and Avian Influenza Preparedness." Journal of Infectious Diseases 197 S. Supl 1 (2008): S7-13.
- Yu, Dongbao, Souteyrand, Yves, Banda, Mazuwa A., Kaufman, Joan, and Perriens, Joseph H. "Investment in HIV/AIDS Programs: Does it help to strengthen health systems in developing countries?." Globalization and Health 4. 8 (2008).
- Moaven Razavi, Ali Hassanzadeh, Kavous Basmenji. "Fairness of financial contribution in health system" (in Persian). Andishmand Publication Company, Tehran-Iran, 2005.
- Shepard, DS; Savedoff, W; Phua, KH. "Healthcare reform initiatives in Malaysia." Seminar organized by the Planning and Development Division, Ministry of Health, Malaysia in Collaboration with the World Health Organization. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 8 October, 2002.