- Kaufman, Joan. "The global women's movement and Chinese women's rights." Journal of Contemporary China (2012), 21(76), July, 585-602.
- Kaufman, Joan, Liu, Y., and Fang, J. "Improve Reproductive Health in China through Participatory Planning." Global Public Health Published online May 11, 2012.
- Kaufman, Joan, Zeng, W., Wang L., and Zhang, Y. "Community-based Menteal Health Counseling for Children Orphaned by AIDS in China." AIDS Care. Published online August 13, 2012.
- Kaufman, J. "China's evolving AIDS policy: the influence of global norms and transnational non-governmental organizations." Contemporary Politics 18(2), 225-2. 2012.
- Kaufman, Joan. "China's AIDS Response - Critical Turning Points." In E.Y. Zhang, A. Kleinman, and W. Tu (Eds.), Governance of LIfe in Chinese Moral Experience: The Quest for an Adequate Life. New York: Routledge, 2010.
- Joan Kaufman, Fang Jing, Liu Yunguo, Liu Maowei. "Continuing Disparities in Reproductive Health and Gender Equality in Poor Rural China: Findings from a Baseline Study in Defang, Zhenning, and Luoping Counties, China, GHEN China Case Study Working Paper 2." The Institute for Development Studies Working Paper Series, IDS, UK 2010.
- Joan Kaufman. "Public Health Policy in China." Politics in China: An Introduction. William A. Joseph, editor (Oxford University Press, 2010).
- Joan Kaufman. "Turning Points in China's AIDS Response." China: An International Journal Volume 8, Number 1, pp 63-84, March 2010.
2009 & earlier
- Kaufman, Joan, Charles W. Freeman and Xiaoqing Lu. "Infectious Disease Challenges in China." Center for Strategic and International Studies. Washington DC: 2009.
- Fang Jing, Joan Kaufman, Liu Yunguo. "Health Service Planning and Women's Organization in Poor Rural China: The Case of Dafang County, Guizhou Province, GHEN China Case Study Working Paper 1." 2008.
- Jing, Fang and Kaufman, Joan. "Reproductive Health in China: Improve the means to the end." The Lancet 372. 9650 (2008): 1619-1620.
- Kaufman, Joan. "China's Health Care System and Avian Influenza Preparedness." Journal of Infectious Diseases 197 S. Supl 1 (2008): S7-13.
- Kaufman, Joan, Erli, Zhang, and Zhenming, Xie. "Family Planning Quality of Care in China: Scaling Up a Pilot Project in a National Reform Program." Studies in Family Planning 37. 1 (2006): 17-28.